Skip to content

Month: December 2013

[Plotting About] The end of 2013…

shouldbewriting10
Besides the review of the Doctor Who Christmas episode and a possible review of Joe Hill’s Locke and Key comic saga that I just finished devouring this will probably be my last post for 2013.
No metrics for this month.
I’ve been shoring up the backstory of the Weaver verse in order to get chapters right in the work in progress. And shoring up the backstory means writing it down and not writing willy nilly. The pantser in me is taking a back seat so the planner can drive and it’s all for the better.
It doesn’t feel like I’ve gotten things done but in the end I can look back and find things with ease instead of digging myself deeper into hole.
I’ll be moving the synopsis stuff over to Scrivener just so I’ll have easier access to it then I do now.
As for 2014, nothing much is planned except for Emerald City Comic Con and cosplaying as Jayne Cobb of Canton. The hat being made by my mom. ๐Ÿ™‚
Attending San Diego Comic Con is on hold for the foreseeable future. As much as I enjoy it, it’s a major cash drain every year. Emerald City isn’t due to having family willing to put up with me in the Seattle area.
My plans for 2014 consist of:
1. Finish Weaver Book #1. Query Agents. Work on Book #2.
2. Find a graphic design job.
3. Finish a short story and submit it to either magazine or writer’s workshop.
4. Continue to write.
6. Read more.
7. Take more pictures and post’em.
8. More gaming with Team Formation.
9. Hope for good new season of Doctor Who with Peter Capaldi.

[Plotting About] December and beyond…

shouldbewriting2
So with NaNoWrimo over, it’s time to shift back to the work in progress.
A great deal of people have said to put your Wrimo in the drawer and edit in January. I agree with that advice.
After thirty days of staring at it, you need some time away from it to see how much of it you really need. This time away helped sort out a few plot problems in the work in progress.
I’ve gone back and re-planned the novel via a beat sheet. The biggest thing I changed was the pacing.
This means putting one of the protagonists, Melinda, into danger sooner than planned. It works without changing much of what I’ve written. It explains things better than the scenes I had already written.
While some of the universe building may have been pushed to the side I think a lot of it can be shuffled around. At least three to five chapters are being put off until book 2 so that frees up at least between 9-18k.
I think I’ll continue to plan out the rest of the novel while working on one or two short stories for Clarion, Viable Paradise workshops. So for now the K count bar for the work in progress isn’t going to show up for a while.
Once I’ve made progress on the short stories I’ll post an update.
Also, Providence Phoenix did an interview during one of our NaNoWrimo write ins.